en Select a Language

What’s the Difference Between Fiancé & Marriage Visa?

Marriage visa
Marriage Visas (CR-1 and IR-1 visas)

The marriage visa (CR-1 or IR-1) is an immigrant visa obtained by the foreign spouse while in the foreign country after marriage for the purpose of immigrating to the U.S. to live permanently with the spouse.

Fiancé Visa (K-1 visa)

The fiancé visa is a nonimmigrant visa obtained by the foreign fiancé to travel to the U.S. for the purpose of getting married. It allows the foreign fiancee of a U.S. Citizen to enter the country with the intentions of getting married within 90 days of entering the United States.

The Fiancé Visa is generally preferred (over the Marriage Visa) because it’s the easiest, quickest, and least expensive way.

The Requirements for Fiancé Visa: 
  • Be legally free to marry and intend to marry within 90 days of the fiancé’s admission to the United States.
  • Have met each other in person within the two years immediately before filing the petition, unless the U.S. citizen petitioner establishes that either:
    • The requirement to meet in person would violate strict and long-established customs of the foreign national’s culture or social practice, and that any and all aspects of the traditional arrangements have been or will be met in accordance with the custom or practice; or
    • The requirement to meet in person would result in extreme hardship to the U.S. citizen.
  • Meet the requirements set in the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act of 2005.

If you’re looking for legal assistance in any of these topics, contact one of the Immigration Lawyers at iLaw! 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *