en Select a Language

Which visa is easier to obtain for your immediate relatives & family members?

Family Visa

As a legal immigrant, you probably want your family members to join you here in the U.S. For them to legally enter the United States, they are required to obtain visas. Amongst the many options available, which type best fits your case? 

Immediate Relative Visas According to the Bureau of Consular Affairs of the U.S. Department of State, Immediate Relative visas, also known as IR visas,  are the easiest to obtain because two reasons: There are an unlimited number of them each year and you only need to be a permanent U.S. resident (citizenship is not required) to help your family members get them. 

The five types of Immediate Relative visas are: 

IR-1 for your spouse 

IR-2 for your unmarried minor children 

IR-3 for any non-U.S. orphans you adopt in their country of birth 

IR-4 for any non-U.S. orphans you adopt in the U.S. 

IR-5 for your parents Family Preference Visas 

Alternatively, you may apply for a Family Preference visa, which is applicable in the following ways: 

F1 for your single adult children and their minor children 

F2 for your spouse, minor children and single adult children 

F3 for your married children, their spouses and minor children 

F4 for your siblings, their spouses and minor children 

As a permanent resident, you can assist your family members with F1 visa applications, F3 visa applications, and F4 visa applications. However, you must be a citizen of the United States to assist them with F2 visa applications. Only a limited number of Family Preference visas are issued each year by the U.S. government.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *